View Single Post
Old 10th February 2019, 06:00 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Maybe it's just me Jim, but i see no similarity whatsoever, either in the tip or over all blade profile, between this Berber saber and a kampilan. Am i missing something?

I am clearly uninitiated in the arms of Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia et al, so the comparison is admittedly free association and obviously somewhat tenuous. However, what I was noting primarily was the tip of the kampilan, and that the top of what would be the back of the blade (opposing the cutting edge) at the tip projects out in a curious extended point.

With the kampilan this point and the radius of the cutting edge below it is somewhat artistically enhanced. I know that this is not always the case on all kampilans, and that the representation is debated, I think Cato suggests something about a Hornbill bird (?).

What I was seeing in the 'Berber' sabres is that the blades (many, if not most I have seen) had cavalry blades from M1796 British sabres. What was puzzling is that these blades were much favored for their enlarged 'hatchet' tips in many ethnographic settings.

So why in the world were these blade tips reprofiled into this deliberate shape with the point at the top (back of blade) extended in degree resmembling the prow of a boat? and the blade below radiused in the same manner as the kampilan in effect.
It has been suggested that the perpendicular extension (handle) on the scabbard was to grasp while withdrawing the sword from the leather scabbard in humid and damp conditions in S. America and Caribbean.

* here I would note that obviously not ALL the so called Berber sabres had this notable effect on the blade tip. It was the notable number of them with it that I refer to.

It is clearly a matter of perception that I noticed years ago, and have never found a good reason for these distortions of these 'Berber' blades (actually Cuban in many cases). While these have been considered to have been used in tropical climes as machetes, I could not fathom a reason for this curious design pragmatically......and resigned to thinking of an aesthetic one perhaps recalling these kampilan.

I hope this explanation brings some clarity to my observation, and I was hoping that those well versed in these weapons might offer thoughts toward my idea.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 10th February 2019 at 06:13 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote