Thread: Valiant Swords?
View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2006, 08:11 PM   #2
nechesh

Hi Steve. From what i can tell Valiant makes some interesting and fairly accurate repros. But remember that they are still repros. If that is what you are looking to collect that's fine. I also understand that given your age you probably don't have a lot of money to spend on blades.But i serious doubt they will hold their value or appreciate over the years like antique weapons will. Most of us here are interested in the actual ethnographic forms of these blades. I don't think there's ANYBODY making modern kampilan and Moro kris that come anywhere near the quality and beauty of the old blades. You will find that there are a good deal of high quality modern INDONESIAN keris still being made as this art form has a fairly unbroken line of development, but i don't think this is true of the Moro weapons you are interested in.
If i where you i would keep an eye out on ebay for the older varieties of these blades. There are still some bargains to be found and over the years i'll bet you'll be more satisfied with the real thing as opposed to repos. Study these forum threads hard to avoid being taken by fakes.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote