View Single Post
Old 6th December 2023, 06:07 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

While I cannot offer much as far as finding another example of this clearly rare (to say the least) form, this topic on falchions is intriguing and have been learning more.

Though it seems there remain upwards of several thousand examples of the more well known knightly swords of these medieval periods, there seem to be barely 30 examples of the falchion form left. There are four 'named' examples, of which the 'Conyers' and 'Thorpe' are most notable, and from 13th -14th c.

Apparently an author named James Elmslie has tried to establish an 'Oakeshott' style typology on falchions. It seems that while the 'Conyers' type effectively ended by end of 14th c. the 'Thorpe' style evolved in degree into more a saber type blade.

The question has arisen, could these falchions have been over represented in artwork and iconography? and not been as prevalent as the familiar knightly broadswords, thus accounting for the paucity of examples. ?

It seems the very light, flexible blade was likely most functional as a slashing type weapon rather than heavy hacking weapon against armor, or of course thrusting. The forces in 'armies' in these times were largely peasantry, who did not have armor, swords etc. but simple fabric clothing and implements or tools as arms.

It seems that the falchions of note (the named examples) are with heraldic type decoration and held in high status traditionally, so is it possible that artistic renderings of these times might have been included in these as more ubiquitous than they really were?

Weapons not necessarily of correct period are of course well known in classical art, such as the Indonesian keris in Rembrandt's "Samson and Delilah" and others. Another case more applicable here is the c. 1460 painting of 'St. Michael Slaying the Dragon", where the figure is using a 'storta' , which is in effect an evolved version of the 'Thorpe' falchion.

While hoping not to detract too much from the main course of this thread, finding (hopefully) other examples of that in OP, I wanted to discuss some 'falchion' history for those unfamiliar with this distinct form, as I was and now learning more.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote