View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2012, 09:40 PM   #22
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiridonov
Great find, Michael! One of this barrels from image seems does not have a stock It's too short.
P/S
Michael, You have created a lot of interesting topics at last time. I feel morally obligated to comment them all but I don't have enough time at last days (but I'll try to do this :-) ). I always read that You've written with the great interest.

Alexender, my dear friend,

Thank you so much for sharing your precious time and coming in once more!

Please do not worry! I know that you are observing my posts (which I feel in a way have always really been ours , as you seem to be the one here to share my my knowledge best) and I jump for joy every single time I hear from you.

As to the seemingly missing tiller stock of the arquebus depicted, I am afraid that what I have learned from more than 3O years of studying 400 to 600 year-old period artwork is that it was almost never absolutely exact. I guess artists then just did not care to be that exact. E.g., animals like bears, lions and elephants were depicted like dogs or pigs.

Best from Lower Bavaria,
and having my last sip of tea for today from the beautiful St. Petersburg cup you brought when visiting me ,

Michael

Last edited by Matchlock; 4th April 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote