View Single Post
Old 6th March 2021, 05:58 PM   #46
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Interesting comparison

Although we are discussing a cuirass from Africa, I wanted to add, at least anecdotally, a similar kind of case from here in Texas.

In the 1870s, armor and a helmet were in the Pecos desert in Texas, near the Rio Grande river by an army doctor, who said they still encased the bones of the wearer. Years later he gave these (less the bones) to anthropologist and army captain John G. Bourke (c. 1890s) . It had been presumed these items had been worn by a 16th century Spanish explorer.

In time, the front and back plate cuirass had been lost, and what remained was the 'mantle' (over shoulders) and a very strange helmet. When these items came into possession of University of Nebraska, research done revealed that Spanish explorers used no such armor, only some mail, and leather armor (curera). The helmet has no comparison to anything whatsoever.

The 'mantle' was comprised of small iron scales, attached to a cotton backing, much in imitation of 'cataphract' (=scaled) armor, and examination revealed these to be of 'bloomery' type process iron, a very old process of smelting far predating the 19th c. methods.

Basically, the 'armor' was of old components, but seemingly amalgamated with material not congruent. The suggestion was that these items might have been from an opera company or fraternal group, but no such groups existed n these regions in those times.

Naturally, those times were wrought with lore and tall tales, and my question is, why would one of these mantles have been worn over a breast and back plate? Over mail I could see, but not sheet armor. The helmet looks like a baseball cap, nothing like anything Ive seen in armor.

Just illustrating these kinds of conundrums have other counterparts.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 6th March 2021 at 06:31 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote