View Single Post
Old 5th March 2021, 12:25 PM   #32
colin henshaw

Wink

Jim McDougall]Hmmmm,
I WONDER if this could be a kind of regalia for use by a member of one of the secretive guilds or societies known in West Africa, one that comes to mind is the 'Crocodile guild'. There are others known as 'Leopard hunters' etc. who used the scaly anteater (pangolin) hide, however they wore crocodile hide helmets, so the use of crocodile hide is quite possible, if not likely (as per Spring, op.cit. noting variations of materials used).

Jim's theory about Crocodile Secret Societies is certainly colourful and exotic, but given the likelihood the cuirass was put together in Europe, can probably be safely discounted (the rivets are particularly compelling).

As for diplomatic gifts, it has been my understanding that such items were notable quality examples representing the culture of the presenter, not imitations of those they are giving it to.

Far from it, gifts would often be cheap and showy. An example I have to hand is from the intrepid American lady explorer who travelled in East Africa in the late 19th century, May French-Sheldon ... extracts from her book attached. Another example ... Sir Joseph Banks had brass replica Maori clubs "patu" made in 1772 for distribution to important natives in New Zealand. Image attached. However, it should be noted that for the coronation of King Archibong III of Calabar in 1878 his regalia was provided by Queen Victoria, so presumably of good quality ? Image attached.

Basically, why would anyone ship crocodile hide to Europe, to make a cuirass to send back to Africa?

Crocodile hides for making luggage, shoes etc, along with other animal skins, have long been an export item from Africa to Europe.

Considering again my first post of this thread, above ... perhaps a third, less likely option should be added :-

Its simply an old hobbyist production using a Victorian copy breastplate - for hanging on the wall in some large house or for "dressing-up" (which was popular among the middle and upper classes in the 19th and early 20th century.
Attached Images

Last edited by colin henshaw; 5th March 2021 at 12:36 PM.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote