View Single Post
Old 13th March 2010, 12:20 AM   #41
Dimasalang

^^

I believe in what you are saying, and it would make sense to do so. This keeps the wheels turning for all parties and this is how a system "evolves". Bruce Lee being the best example and greatest innovator of what you speak of. His style was basically stealing techniques and moves from several arts and making them his own. Did I say stealing?...maybe I should of said borrowing. BUT, I can only agree with you up to a certain extent. Personally, I have seen many things that just don't make any sense to me in Martial Arts(not just FMA). Giving away or sharing trade secrets can only work up to a certain point...anything beyond and that is now the head chief giving away his treasured recipes. It is what keeps food on the table, a roof over your head, and clothes on your kids backs..all the while sticking with tradition of the ones who came before and established the art. Some of the more advanced teachings and/or secrets would only make sense to the practitioner who has been studying that particular art for a long time. But still, I can see how a chief can share ideas and put twists on dishes that are universal...that I would say is as far as I would see it going for more traditional schools. Grabbing certain secrets and/or moves from different arts for your own benefit helps you become a more well rounded fighter, BUT, the person also loses the essence behind the other arts he grabbed from. Essence as in foundation, a true understanding, or history to go by. Evolving is a good thing...but that is also not for everyone. Not everyone wants to evolve or follow the path most Martial Art schools have gone today...most of which is now geared towards "SPORT" fighting. Sport fighting will not save you on the street. My own school, we tend to stick to traditional eskrima...which is older style from the 50-60s. Why?..because that was considered the golden era of stick fighting, where there were death matches. My own teachers belief...he wants to keep the old school tradition in its purest form(nothing added) and not evolve...as he feels the style from the death match era is what works best on the street. And personally, this is why FMA is considered one of the best and most raw of all martial arts. Forget all that fancy stick twirling most FMA school glamorize, in true raw form FMA isn't pretty, but it is straight to the point and it works. This is why it is so effect on the street...and when street fighting, the most dangerous person is not the guy you are fighting, it is the guys friends that you have to be more aware of. FMA has always took in to account multiple attackers...but now a days, with MMA and WEKAF, most FMA schools are also going the sport route. And after much training in his class, I notice we tend to stay on the old path. Just to throw this out there...what I find always works best is simple and basic striking. But the key is more then just Bunal(striking)...the key is to hit and not get hit. You can apply that to any art. Every single school will teach you how to hit...but how many schools teach you on how to NOT get hit.

I know that all sounds like I am rambling. I guess basically what I am trying to say is, everyone has a preference on how and what they want to learn. Me personally, I wanted to learn a traditional FMA...aside from just pure self defense on the street; I wanted to learn for the cultural heritage part. So obviously, a FMA school that changes with the times by adding this and that and does what every other martial art school is doing; that really is not for me. Hope that all made sense.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote