View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2007, 03:06 AM   #4
FenrisWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I always dread entering into discussions of such occult concepts as geomancy and other metaphysical topics which have acquired very negative connotations in recent times ,and here am only suggesting the structure of the arranged symbols and where I have discovered similar arrangement. It is often important to remember that in studying markings and elements of historical weapons, these represent beliefs and symbolism of the period and culture, and must be considered regardless of modern perceptions.

I hope this will lead to perspective which might help discover the most plausible explanation for these most interesting markings!

All the best,
Jim
Very well put! For example, the Vikings were fond of marking their weapons with various runic inscriptions, some intended to be metaphysical (or magical) in nature, others used simply in their alphabetical form, sometimes on the same weapon (the Broad Arrow trademark used of ages to mark British military equipment is actually a carryover of the Rune Tiwaz, representative of Tyr, the viking god of war and justice).

It's always important to keep a proper historical context in mind when studying any inscription,whether it's the curses left by the Egyptian priests to guard the tomb, or the graffiti scrawled by the Egyptan workers on their beer break.....

Fenris
FenrisWolf is offline   Reply With Quote