View Single Post
Old 30th January 2024, 07:23 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

What a fascinating example of the officers and as you note yeomanry sabers of the Georgian period, which indeed seem to have had a great deal of artistic license in the themes and decoration.

I had not been aware of the horsehead theme being used significantly by Irish makers (cutlers and outfitters) but interesting to learn more on that.

Years ago I had a great M1803 Flank Officers saber, which as you know typically had the familiar lion head with flowing mane.....however this example had instead the lion head but with sphinx like headdress in place of the flowing mane. I honestly have never seen another like it nor anything in any references which note this design.

It can only be presumed of course that the hilt was commemorating some participation in the Egyptian campaigns (I wish I still had this!). At this time as you note there was a great deal of innovation in these hilts, and for instance some of the presentation swords which had crocodile head hilts.

It seems there were many unusual and distinct designs and themes in the officers sabers of this period, many of which are seemingly either one off or in close similarity.

Great topic and hopefully others might share similar examples.

Best regards
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote