View Single Post
Old 17th January 2024, 07:10 PM   #99
Victrix

Regarding the notches, I guess one should keep an open mind until theories can be disproven. Earlier in the thread one of our more esteemed experienced members mentioned notches on pallasches and mentioned in post #16 that he had not seen them on Austro-Hungarian sabres. He mentioned he had seen them on German swords as well. Then it seems there are some British and Dutch swords that have them as well. It should be realised that people often served in foreign armies to gain experience. So there could have been Germans serving in British or Dutch forces and notching their swords. You wonder what the authorities thought about the notches and whether regulations allowed it.

Interesting theory about notches used for duels. In Germanic countries they still have student fraternities devoted to sword duels. But wouldn’t Wagner have known about this? Also were pallasches really used in duels?? They look too clumsy to “fence” with, especially on foot.

Coincidentally, Santa gave me a notched sword for Christmas. I learned about the notches on this forum and thought it would be a nice example to have in my collection… More on that later. Then you can all start the debate on notches afresh.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote