View Single Post
Old 12th January 2024, 03:02 PM   #9
Pertinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato77 View Post
Thank you veyr much for the answers and thank you, Ian, for bumping the post up again.

May I kindly ask, which characteristics lead to your decisions? I totally agree with your general localization of the two knifes.

Your knife, Yuri, is quite obviously a Haussa dagger as I got one myself (see picture attached). I agree that the shape of the blade is very similar, but neither is the sheath nor the handle. I've never seen a Haussa dagger with such a handle. I've seen knifes of the Salampasu in the Democratic Republic of Congo which got similar handles even though most (but not all) Salampasu knifes got very different blade shapes.

Quite the same keeps me wondering about the other knife without a sheath, TVV. The knob at the hilt and the brass section do point at Senegal, but all the references I can find show significant differences. On Catawiki (though not a reliable source at all) there is a knife with some comparable features placed in Mauretania. I found other sources placing such knifes with the Assanya, the "neighbours" of the Tuareg.

I really hope we can sort this out. I know that these knifes are not prime examples with the gold and diamonds, but I really find them very interesting to localize.

Best

Thomas
В датировке и идентификации ножа мне помогли фотографии путешественников, побывавших в данном регионе, которые нашел в сети.
1. «Кирди-музыкант», кинжал, Крайний Север Камеруна - Майо-Сава - Мора, 1931 - 1933
2. «Лавка торговца скобяными изделиями», новые кинжалы, Крайний Север Камеруна - Майо-Сава - Майо-Плата, ноябрь 1982 г.
С уважением Юрий

I was helped in dating and identifying the knife by photographs of travelers who had visited this region, which I found on the Internet.
1. “Kirdi the Musician”, dagger, Far North Cameroon - Mayo-Sawa - Mora, 1931 - 1933
2. “Hardmonger’s Shop”, new daggers, Far North Cameroon - Mayo Sawa - Mayo Plata, November 1982.
Regards, Yuri
Attached Images

Pertinax is offline   Reply With Quote