View Single Post
Old 19th November 2023, 10:54 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Well noted, the Solingen shops were masters at appeasing clientele and use of all manner of motif, marks, wording etc.
John Justus Runkel was a London based supplier who brought blades in from Solingen (I think from one family in particular, I think it was Neff) then applied his name to the blade spine, and sold them to cutlers.

In rechecking Seifert (1962) in the plate I do see the similarity between the 'carps tongue' and 'pandour' points, and these clipped points seem somewhat in between. I recall seeing French blades with these kinds of point (blade tip).

In the straight saber deemed a M1780 (not an official pattern) British which has a somewhat similar tip but more subdued. As the British used German blades so consistently, this one seemed Solingen though by this time the British were producing some blades.

* example 'e' Seifert I have seen termed 'quill point'.
the example with widened point (Persian) the feature is the 'yelman' which I was once told by a Polish fencing master/historian was referred to as 'the feather', but actually intended to add weight and momentum to the cut.

Still curious on this rose design on hilts, any other examples?
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 20th November 2023 at 12:02 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote