View Single Post
Old 14th November 2023, 02:45 PM   #5
Interested Party

Default A little clarification please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
The sword attached is a machete from Cuban/Mexican regions of mid to latter 19th c. however in the early years of being properly identified (90s) was always seen as a 'Berber' sword, and from the Rif.....Actually these came into these regions during the insurgencies leading up to this war with Spain bringing conscripted forces from Cuba with units of the Cuban army, and these weapons were brought in at those times. Naturally these weapons for tropical climes were not particularly useful and many ended up circulating in Moroccan regions, ending up being regarded as 'Moroccan'.
I have questions Tirri identified these as Berber. He was published in 2007. I have read that he had several notable errors. I noticed that Laz swords were north African as well in this book. Was any part of this sword Berber? I.e. was the dress, either the handle or scabbard Cuban? Was the blade's tip contoured on Cuba or North Africa? Finally, if these features were Cuban were they from west African influence that then returned to Saharan Africa with the Spanish?
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote