Thread: Hounslow Hilt
View Single Post
Old 1st November 2023, 04:33 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hudson View Post
Hello Keith and Jim, I suspect that this type of sword probably overlaps when considering Border Reivers but I like also the idea of its own thread such is the importance of Hounslow... I seem to recall a blade with a strange date of 1553 ? What does that signify ?

Is it anything to do with Lady Jane Grey or ...perhaps the year in which The Great Bible appears?

Regards, Peter.
Peter as we were noting on that blade, which was actually on a Hounslow type hilt, the 'date' or numbers if standing virtually alone, might be regarded as a talismanic number or device. These are typically four numbers as seen in date/years but actually are number combinations with coded values.

These have to do with similar combining of numeric values in occult, magic and astrological symbolism regarding good fortune, strength, protection etc.
and were seen as imbuements of 'magic' in the blades. While obviously seen with skepticism in modern times, it must be remembered that in earlier times, superstition and often supernatural beliefs were profoundly present.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote