Thread: Small Ram Dao
View Single Post
Old 29th September 2023, 02:13 PM   #5
kronckew

Google translation is of course for 'Standard' Thai, not idiomatic localizations. So it may seem a bit unusually phrased for non-native speakers. People from the northern areas have trouble understanding those from the south.

Anyway, These are common tools around the southern Thai regions and have been for hundreds of years and are still used today, but the older types of smaller ones were often made from local hardwoods, if you research south Thai knife in Thai on google pics you will find many refs to Pattani knife, but there is very little in English anywhere about such knives - tools as no one appears to have much knowledge of the region and no books appear to exist on this region either.

South Thai knife - มีดปักษ์ใต้

One link that is very interesting is here, showing a long handle version of this type knife.

https://www.sac.or.th/exhibition/lmf2017/?p=74

You will find that the elaborate pommel even if missing its tip on the piece in this post is typical of the pattani region if you search Pattani knife in Thai language on google, the style is very typical of Pattani and neighbouring regions, might also be good to mention that these are also used in north Malaysia as the Thai border meets Malaysia near Pattani in far south Thailand, there may well be a whole different name for the type of knife there.

The ''spring '' meaning has nothing to do with the blade, it is the hilt they refer to having spring as it is made from hardwood non-hollow solid bamboo or Malacca cane - (king of rattan canes) which is springy and flexible, the long hilt ones being made of this type material with a woven - crotchet cordage over the top of the cane - wood which is then lacquered many times.

I am sorry, but this is as much as I can tell you about such weapons, I suggest that if you want to know more you research the words south Thai knife in Thai, you will then find hundreds of interesting styles of knife that have hardly ever been seen before in the western world.

I'll conclude with a photo of my Phra:
I gather that, especially the smaller decorated ones like mine and the original post, are also used as weapons when needed.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote