Thread: Chain mail
View Single Post
Old 6th September 2023, 07:55 PM   #7
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercer View Post
I found this fragment of chain mail a few years ago on the foreshore of the river Thames near London Bridge. Not to compare with Raf's magnificent find of the first post!
On finding I took it to Victoria & Albert Museum London as at that time they had a Wednesday morning room where 'finds' could be taken for an opinion.
They said it was of the medieval period and being so fine most likely for the neck or wrist openings.
However, since I have realised it is non-magnetic ie not of ferrous material, iron or steel. Therefore, possibly of limited protection more for comfort and ease of gilding? and show?
It would to appear to be constructed of alternate rows of stamped and riveted iron or steel rings (about 5mm or 1/4 inch internal diameters). Craftsman made indeed!

The One Penny coin is about 20mm or 3/4 inch diameter.
PS I call it Mail, as at the V & A Museum I was corrected when I called it 'Chain Mail', they said it was not made from chains! I know that Claud Blair one time of the Tower of London Armouries always referred to it as 'Mail'. The popular name is chain mail
You should have pointed out to them the rings are chained, hence that name.
Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote