View Single Post
Old 10th July 2023, 10:45 PM   #19
Gavin Nugent

It is interesting Gustav, the reference you note about Jasper & Pirngadie and their studies. Has the work been published?

I was sharing similar imagery to an author about the subtleties of Malay state influenced Sundang in the Borneo and Sulu regions recently, although that seems to have died a natural death...

The Malay states of Northern Borneo is a fascinating region and it is quite easy to see influence from Terengganu for me, not so much Kelantan, my eye is not yet trained to pinpoint these aspects.

I still struggle with modern keris, only in so far as misinformation and those mimicking other cultural materials.
There are thousands of "Malay" types that are modern Java made keris, made in the name of commerce.
They are bought in to Malaysia and sold on. The issue I am seeing more and more is many of these are being bought at the point of sale in Malaysia and then aged, mixed a little with other components, sometimes non regionally correct dress and sold to new collectors as old pieces over and over and over again...

Attached are a couple other other images.
A 3 luk kris that retains a stain in the parts not over polished.
The other the sundang I referenced with the twist core gonjo.

Gavin
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote