View Single Post
Old 9th July 2023, 12:25 AM   #11
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Default White Squall

From my source on Cape Cod shipwrecks.
It starts to get interesting:

Here's a recap of the WHITE SQUALL wreck details. The information sources are many newspapers encompassing 3 eras:
i). 1867;
ii). July 1945 CC Standard Times
iii). 1980's;
note: I have too many articles about this wreck to email and no way to digitally scan others, hence my written summary.

WHITE SQUALL: British, barque, steel-hulled, on its maiden voyage from Liverpool to Boston, cargo of lead and tin, tonnage unknown, wrecked in a storm at Cahoon Hollow in Feb 1867; ship estimated to have been 150-200 ft long & 35 ft wide; was driven by the storm waves right into the beach and then was broken up by the shore-pound; loss of life unknown but the Capt survived.

note: This wreck happened about 6 years before the U. S. Life-saving Service was established on the Cape so exact details aren't readily available from one source.

After the ship wrecked all of the tin and lead cargo was reported to have been salvaged during the summer of 1867. However, in the 1940's the former Captain of the Cahoon Hollow CG Station, Henry Daniels of Eastham, reported that during his years at the station many shiny ingots in the ship's remains could be seen under shallow water off the station. He was aware of the story of the ship's demise. In 1945 a local man, Warren Corliss, who had ties to the War Production Board that was trying to alleviate a severe tin shortage because of WW2, got wind of the potential bonanza to be had at Cahoon Hollow and organized a Govt. salvage expedition. He got the CG to assign an 85 ft ship for the operation and two civilian hard-hat divers were hired. They spent about a week in July '45 at Cahoon's trying to find the ship and verify if there was tin aboard. They located a mostly buried wreck in 10 ft of water at about the right spot where Daniels, now retired, had thought it was but they couldn't determine the identity of the ship and didn't find any ingots. It was covered with deep sand and the operation timed out and the Feds. salvage was abandoned.
note: Confusion about the wreck's identity was exacerbated by the fact that Daniels said there was another old wreck just to the south of the SQUALL, name unknown, with a load of millstones and another wreck just to the north.

Now, at about the same time Barry Clifford was laying claim to the WHYDA two other Cape salvagers, named Costa and Daniels, teamed up and claimed the rights to the WHITE SQUALL In the mid 80's they brought up 10,000 lbs of tin ingots which led to a dispute with the State and the salvagers were blocked from selling the tin. How it all eventually was resolved-I don't know.'
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote