View Single Post
Old 9th January 2023, 10:06 AM   #9
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT View Post

xasterix,
Using Cato’s classification, the elephant’s trunk area on my kris appears to be more consistent with Sulu (Tausug, Samal, Yakan etc) rather than Mindanao (Marano or Maguindanao). Am I mistaken? Also, what features make it “Lumad-appropriated”. Additional info is always good.

Sincerely,
RobT
Hi Rob! I also used to rely on Cato's classification. However I changed my mind when I was shared data by my curator-researcher friend who's worked with Mindanao and Lumad tribal elders for more than a decade. According to him, the elders dismissed Cato's classification; they don't look at the elephant figural, but rather the shelf below it (the area below the "mouth" of the elephant, like a second mouth). If the shelf opens wide (upper and lower part not perfectly parallel, but 'gaping') then it's Mindanao. If the shelf opens in a linear fashion, with both upper and lower parts parallel, then that's Sulu.

I interpreted the kris as Lumad-appropriated because the ferrule and asang-asang were 'roughly' replaced with unmarked metal- I'm not sure if it's silver, aluminum, or alloy. I believe those parts are also younger than the rest of the sword ensemble. If it were properly replaced by a Moro owner, it usually comes with the |X| placeholder or other engraving. My curator-friend had told me that rough replacements were indicative of later Lumad ownership. They didn't have access to the proper materials as their Moro brothers.

As for the boat-shaped scabbard, Mindanao elders have also ascribed that as theirs, particularly those with Iranun lineage, who used to be extensive seafarers in past eras.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote