View Single Post
Old 11th December 2022, 07:13 PM   #22
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by francantolin View Post
Thank you for the picture of the nepalese '' pesh-kabz'' and link ( an amazing Garuda carved on the hilt ! )

For me the silver work on mounts is sino-tibetan
So I come back to the wakhan- eastern Afghanistan origin...
Two pictures: a tibetan kangling and a mongolian trousse set.
I don't think the scabbard was made in Tibet or in far
Mongolia but they illustrate the clear chinese, sino-influence.
It is very important to determine the "place of use" of arms. The dagger or saber itself could be made in one place, and then made a "journey" and used in a region far from the place of production.
For example, the vast majority of sabers and daggers in the khanates of Central Asia were made in Persia. And in the khanates, native craftsmen made handles and scabbard details in their traditional style. But looking at the resulting objects, we define them as "Central Asian" and not as "Persian". Although, of course, we can say that these are "Central Asian items with Persian blades." So it is with your dagger, francantolin. He certainly lived in a region with strong Chinese or Nepalese influence. Where exactly, of course, is difficult to say. At the same time, the blade and hilt of this karud could have been made in Afghanistan. But given the special details of the scabbard, to say that he is "Afghan" or "Central Asian", in my opinion, is categorically not true.
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote