View Single Post
Old 28th August 2022, 07:30 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyman View Post
Not sure if this item fits the topic, but I've always assumed it was a European bayonet re-hilted for local use. I think it's camel bone, or at least the same bone as on a Sudanese Haladie in my collection. Not a great picture unfortunately as it's just an archive photo, so no stats to post. The pommel cap is brass if I remember correctly, and the underside of the blade is flat rather than concave.
Thank you so much for responding! This is it appears a bit of a difficult topic,
as most often the blades used on these Saharan weapons from the military sources I am considering are repurposed and altered. The section on this does seem to resemble certain bayonet blades, so plausibly indeed from one of these, actually it seems perhaps even an earlier socket type.

While with the volume of trade blades circulating in the Sahara was as previously noted, considerable, in these kinds of remote circumstances virtually nothing was disregarded as unusable.
As bayonets are not a field I am particularly familiar with, it will take some searching but I feel it is possible of a French type, though the section of the blade sounds British.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote