Thread: Shamshir hilts
View Single Post
Old 24th March 2022, 08:45 AM   #13
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihl View Post
Hi dakary! Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but unfortunately the truth is the "eastern world" really hasn't caught up with the west in terms of available-to-order-online sword production. The fact of the matter is modern sword "pop culture" if you will is way too eurocentric at the moment, so there frankly isn't much demand from most online peoples for "eastern" swords. This, of course, mostly just applies to western, middle eastern, and south asian swords though; it goes without saying there's been east asian sword representation on the market for decades. Even southeast asia has quite a bit of representation nowadays.

This is all to say that you are correct in your perception that you'd need to custom order a sword in order to get a faithful replica. There simply are no "albion's" or "tod culter's" for the islamic world, ready to make 100% historically accurate, battle ready replicas for willing customers - with customization options available! If anything you'd be better off learning smithing yourself and making your own replicas (that's honestly what I'm planning on doing once I'm out of university). I apologize if that all sounds overly snarky, but it really is the truth. There is peserey handicrafts, like you mentioned, and also another swordsmith from Turkey that goes by "kilic_osman_baskurt" on instagram, who is very well known for making high quality replicas, often out of wootz steel. Beyond them, however, I really don't know who I'd go to.
Osman is a very skilled smith and I totally recommend working with him. He also sticks to accurate period designs and dimensions. I’ve handled and owned multiple pieces of his productions and he is quite competent.

As for the rest of the post. The sword culture is certainly alive and well within certain regions of the east. There are even ready to order items but what fits with the taste of “easterners” who in general have a form of celebratory angle to the ownership of swords and daggers. There are modern made swords in Oman that mimic the early Yamani sword. It is very much a classical design similar to what medieval Muslims used. Sadly, like European markets said swords are antiqued and sold to buyers as authentic items.

Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Yemen, Syria and more recently the UAE al produce modern items of with old specifications based on the demand of 99.999999% of their customers. Some of their productions are of very high quality.

I’ve commissioned various swords in Doha, mainly in the more recent Arab design. They are quite accurate in shape and construction. A fellow in Doha replicated a Persian sword and it was quite well made too. I guess if one wants to know what “easterners” make, they should make the effort to find them.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote