Thread: Shamshir hilts
View Single Post
Old 18th March 2022, 05:49 PM   #9
dakary

That's not at all what I want. I want a modern replica that is as historically accurate as possible (I know that this forum has a lot of antique collectors, which is deeply interesting, but that's not what I am looking for either). This is of paramount importance to me. I've found it easier to accomplish this with European arms. I've bought pieces from, for example, Albion, and Tod Cutler (and ordered from Tod's workshop too).

I'm having a hell of a time trying to find the equivalent for eastern medieval arms. I tend to wallow in about 1450-1520AD when it comes to European stuff (and, in particular, German) and I'd like a contemporary from the Mamluk Sultanate or, perhaps, the wider Abbasid Caliphate. I've had Peserey Handicrafts recommended to me (there is a language barrier here too). But one thing about, for example, Tod's workshop is that he knows the 15th century German stuff so well and he can offer advice based on what I want and I trust him to deliver on craftsmanship and detail to historical accuracy.

I'm also starting this from a position of relative ignorance (not that I am an expert on the German stuff - I certainly am not, but I have a greater basis of information as a starting point). I've got a shortlist of some books and I will try to add those you've recommended to me, ariel. Still, I'd also like to absorb as much information from forum members as I can, if they're willing to help me. Thank you!
dakary is offline   Reply With Quote