View Single Post
Old 11th August 2021, 12:59 AM   #8
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
I note there appears to be a re-enforcing sleeve, possibly sheet metal, between the head and the shaft, much like the Bulova axes of eastern India, which also use the tapering of the business end to keep the head on the haft. It looks like the extended end is just the larger end where it was cut off the rest of the wood with a similar axe, instead of being sawn. Maybe they don't have a saw? Still, odd. The haft, being 'seasoned' and dried out would be a lot harder to cut -maybe they just can't be bothered...

id find that highly unlikely.. after all they have an axe head to cut things and they have already cut the handle to the exact length they want it.. .

other axes they have are not like that. its like there is one type of various sizes that has this weird extension and then all others dont have it. it must have some practical function we are missing. i just dont think theyed make it like that for some weird decoration. after all it looks very impractical. so there must be a practical use.

i guess its like a person seeing a single beveled knife for the first time and seeing it as the height of uselessness .. until they figure out why its that way.. they must all be doing something specific with the axes for that extended handle to be of some use. this is going to drive me nuts. the only.. only thing i could thin of is like with some billhooks and nata there is an extended blunt tip to stop it striking the ground so you can cut or split things close to rocks ad the ground without hitting your edge ...... that extended handle would sort of do that
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote