View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2021, 05:18 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Cathey, this is truly a superb example with the koftgari and profuse botanical decoration in such great condition, as well observed by the others.

Tulwars are not only difficult to accurately identify specifically to geographic regions but to date as the hilt form was used over hundreds of years.
However in this case we can estimate this example as the form typically produced in one of the numerous centers in Rajasthan, and probably 18th century.

In G.N.Pant ("Indian arms & Armor", 1980) the author makes a valiant effort to establish regional and other categories for the various types of tulwar hilts. However these serve best only as identifiers in description for purposes of discussion in my opinion, as typically hilts were produced in these locations in Rajasthan and often sent to other regions for decoration and mounting.

The floral decoration as well as clearly the Islamic detail on the blade establish this to be most certainly a Mughal tulwar. It is quite likely the blade is wootz as suggested, and it would take more detailed examination to determine what is in the cartouches, which follow the style placed on most Islamic blades of this quality and as on Persian examples. It is indeed possible this is a Persian blade as typically present in Mughal courts.

These kinds of Mughal tulwars were prevalent in the northwestern regions and from Rajasthan eastward to Delhi but of course followed the Mughal Sultanates and princely states under that rule. While in some degree they found use in the central 'Deccan' southward in Mughal domains, the tulwar is mostly in my view a weapon of the northern regions.

I wish I could be less vague, but I just wanted to add at least some comment on what is agreed a most beautiful example of the Mughal tulwar.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote