View Single Post
Old 26th June 2021, 05:46 PM   #36
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur View Post
I greatly respect your experience and opinion.

And I personaly don't know the meaning and symbolic of these faces.

But it is not because I don't know that I will accept any belief. As for the Toyota, I had many Toyota's, but I'm not a mechanic.

In my opinion, the text above is a personal narrative, your (nice) story about this sword, but we do not have the story of this sword.

Maybe, the most important is not what we see, but what we believe...
As agreed, it is understandable to have differences in thoughts, belief and opinion, and while it does not seem worthwhile to drag out what has become a philosophical debate, it seems important to note something.

In investigative research a theory may often be presented in the form of an analogy, for all intents and purposes, a 'story'(though emphatically I would not choose that term). It is used to illustrate a possible situation based on factual data at hand (i.e.physical or tangible evidence) and used to create a fluid image of possible occurrence.

Sometimes these can be researched more specifically, and more facts or evidence can be added to increase the probability. However, often there is no tangible evidence to be had, and what remains is a theory which can range from reasonable plausibility to 'compelling' plausibility.

Here it is important to note that a theory is just that, and in the absence of further evidence which cannot prove or disprove the theory, the reader has their own choice of what to believe. However it is important as well not to discount or dismiss an analogy summarily as it is not an assertion, but just a theory.

I just read an amazing article in which sword blades with markings which should not have been on them (Klingenthal markings on British sword blades in the Napoleonic period). The author presents a wonderfully detailed and highly plausible theory, based on known FACTS of circumstances of the time.
Equally, we are presently examining a Japanese tachi sword which has a startling use of a European (probably British) blade. This pairing is more than unlikely, almost seemingly impossible, but we present theories (potentially analogies) of how this might have occurred.

In studying the history of arms, just as in all history, it is the use of what is known as 'historical detection' or ratiocination, deductive reasoning.
Analogies, or presumptive theories are not 'stories' (created for entertainment) but as illustrative tools used by worthy scholars in the study of a problem and possible explanations. To portray them otherwise is less than respectful .

Im just sayin' and expressing my personal opinion based on the many years I have researched history through arms and armor.

Meanwhile, thanks to everybody for a great discussion and for providing a wonderful understanding of the sword I posted here.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 27th June 2021 at 05:32 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote