View Single Post
Old 15th June 2021, 02:59 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Rick and Jose,

Yes, the pommel does resemble Visayan examples on the swords and knives that you mention. Similar three-lobed pommels are seen also in some Metro Manila, northern and central Luzon pieces. It's possible my sword may come from Cebu, where some of those cast aluminum-hilted knives were made. The decorative style on the hilt certainly resembles some of the decoration on the aluminum-hilted knives.However, the scabbard is not like any other Visayan example I've seen, with the copper/brass fittings at the throat and tip.

In looking at a mix of Moro/Visayan influences, there is a possibility it was made in Zamboanga, which has a tradition of sword and knife making showing blends of Moro and Chavacano influence. The Chavacano have a Visayan heritage.

Thanks for raising a Visayan component.

Ian.

P.S. Here are some of those aluminum-hilted knives. They often have stamped inscriptions, such as "Philippines" or a year (the earliest I have seen is 1945, and most are shortly after WWII). One of mine has "CEBU" imprinted. The imbedded "dots" are MOP, natural stones or plastic. Note the small ricasso on the blade without a sheath.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 15th June 2021 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Added picture
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote