Thread: KRIS AND KALIS
View Single Post
Old 28th July 2020, 11:57 AM   #1
xasterix

Default KRIS AND KALIS

Hi everyone,

I don't participate much in auctions, so this is a special first for me- I got three target Bangsamoro pieces at reasonable pricing, and locally too (here in PH). Sharing with you my prized three: Maguindanao kris, Tausug kalis, and Maranao kris.

I always make sure that the antique weapons I get are restored to prime cutting condition. Luckily I was guided by a former forum member who's a master in restoration. I reset the hilt of the Maguindanao and Maranao kris; the former retained its original fittings while the latter, I had to re-wrap with simple rattan, as its original bindings have been eaten up by time. I've yet to repair the damaged ferrule of the Tausug kris; but as of present all three weapons are paper-cutting sharp.

The Maranao kris has some inlaid dot-stuff along the gangya, which looks to be some sort of white metal.

The Maguindanao kris has copper-wire pattern on its relatively small hilt. I added green thread because I found the circumference of the hilt small for my hand.

I find the Tausug kalis interesting because it has two sides; a carved wood side (I'm not sure what type of wood this is), and a turtleshell plate. It also has two small and one long fullers on the blade.

With regard to age, I'm betting that the Maguindanao kris is the oldest one, possibly preww2. I feel that the Maranao kris would be at postWW2 and the Tausug kalis at 1970s.

All three weapons are well-balanced, which I think is an indicator that they all aren't that old (I'm assuming older kris and kalis are heavier). During restoration, I've observed all of them to have some form of lamination; Maguindanao and Maranao with the usual linear lamination, while the Tausug had the best (and abundant) pattern.

Comments, analysis, and questions are welcome.

Sincerely,
XasteriX
Attached Images

xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote