View Single Post
Old 13th May 2006, 11:36 PM   #23
A. G. Maisey

Use of steel wool on wesi aji:-

As David remarks, there are a number of grades of steel wool.

One obviously selects the correct grade for the job at hand.
0000 steel wool is used for polishing fine cabinet work prior to applying the finish, and it will definitely not damage iron or steel.

My recommendation for use of steel wool was not associated with the initial preparation of a blade prior to staining.
When somebody first attempts blade staining, a common error is to make the blade too dark. I was recommending the use of steel wool and a powder sink cleaner to remove the stain that is too dark before attempting the job again.Where the stain is only a little bit too dark, or if one wishes to emphasise an area of white pamor material, rubbing down with the inside of the lime skin, and frequent rinsing will often give the desired result.

However, having said that, as a final preparation step prior to beginning to stain, a scrub with steel wool and powder cleaner is also useful. The blade should be a good white prior to commencing to stain.

A common defect with the work of people who stain blades in Jawa is that patches or spots of yellow or brown will be seen under the black. This is usually caused by failure to adequately prepare the blade by bringing it back to a good white, before commencing to stain.

There are a number of levels of quality in blade staining:- a commercial stainer, is capable of handling a large number of blades in a single day by using a method involving the soaking of the blade. This type of staining is a very low cost process, however, there is a failure rate of somewhere around 50% , if we measure against perfection of result.

Other common methods can use more time than the soak method, and are consequently more expensive, but have a higher rate of success. The very best method that is used on high quality wesi aji , and is probably thoroughly understood by only a very limited number of people, can use several days to stain a single blade.
The times I am talking about here are for staining only, beginning with a perfectly clean blade.

To the best of my knowledge steel wool is not available in Jawa.
I have taken steel wool to Jawa, and it was extremely troublesome to prevent from rusting during the wet season.
However, as I have previously remarked, in Jawa abu gosok and coconut husk is used for cleaning or polishing a blade during the staining process.Steel wool is unnecessary.
On an old blade with rough grain, steel wool is not really such a wonderful thing to use, as the threads of the steel wool get caught in the raised grain of the blade. For blades like this a nail brush and powder cleaner, and/or a Scotch Brite pad is probably more practical.

I hear a lot about the great care that must be taken with blades in cleaning and staining, but in truth it is almost impossible to damage any wesi aji if plain common sense is used. This remark does not apply to blades with kinatah work.
The greatest damage can be done during cleaning by the use of acids that are too harsh.
A traditional cleaning acid is coconut water, however, this is seldom if ever used by commercial blade stainers.
They use citric acid, and in fact any type of acid, including sulphuric and hydrochloric, to get a blade clean.These acids are really much, much too aggressive for blade cleaning, but they have the virtue of being fast.

I believe that most of the blades that we see these days with very open grain are probably like this as a result of cleaning with these aggressive acids.

Outside of Jawa, I have only ever used canned pineapple juice for cleaning a blade. On a spot of stubborn rust I will sometimes use a drop or two of hydrochloric, but after the spot is clean I kill the hydrochloric with bicarb of soda, and I always finish the blade in pineapple juice.

The shaped baluster that is found at the base of a tombak blade is called a "metuk".

The word "landheyan" (landeyan) is ngoko for a tombak shaft, and can also be used for a keris handle. It has the same meaning as "jejeran" does in krama and krama inggil. The word "landeyan" is also found in Old Javanese, and in this language has a similar meaning.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote