View Single Post
Old 10th May 2006, 01:04 AM   #14
A. G. Maisey

The object referred for comment by Doecon has a strong probability to be archaic.

I possess a number of similar objects, and archaic Javanese forge work has been something of particular interest to me for many years.

I have seen groups of these objects fresh from excavation, rusted into a single inseparable mass, I have also seen, handled, and acquired a number of others.

Although these objects are relatively scarce, in the market place they have a comparatively low value, and as such are not worthwhile the attention of forgers.

No current tools or weapons are made of similar form nor material.

The texture, colour and general presentation of the iron in the item shown in the photo appears to be correct for this class of archaic object.

The Candi Sukuh stele is possibly the most famous single piece of Javanese sculpture.
Some years ago --possibly ten or fifteen years--- it was transported to the USA for exhibition.
The figures shown in the Sukuh stele have been subjected to varying interpretations; the central figure has been intrepreted as a representation of Ganesha, but it could also be a sangkala ( a figural date able to be translated in accordance with the Javanese numerical system), if it is a sangkala it could be given as "gajah wiku anahut buntut :elephant monk hold animal=1378jav., 1456AD). The two other figures in the stele are noblemen, and could be representations of descendants of gods. The man on the left side is at an anvil, and on this anvil is a keris (this of course cannot be seen in the photo); the man on the right side is working bellows (ububan).

The relief carvings in the Candi Sukuh precinct carry many representations of objects similar to that referred by Doecon.

Over the years I have visited Candi Sukuh perhaps more than 100 times, as it is quite close to my residence when I am in Jawa.

Candi Sukuh is a holy place, and levity of any form should not be used in connection with anything at all connected with this place.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote