Thread: Shotel draw
View Single Post
Old 28th June 2016, 11:37 PM   #13
nKante

Thanks for the replies.
The gentleman in the video is DaMon Stith out of Austin, Texas. He is doing some really cool things and recently started a Historical African Martial Arts page on Facebook. It was a picture he posted of a warrior posing with his sword half drawn that made me ask the question. From the picture it looks like the sword will be drawn with inner blade towards him. I was thinking maybe it was drawn like this for the picture.
Jerseyman, I was thinking something along the same lines. I was playing around with a sickle and came up with a 'cowboy' style draw. Imagine the classic western 'getting ready to draw stance'. With the handle pointing forward, the back of the thumb is placed on the bottom of the handle. As the hand is raised.the thumb rotates the sword around until the handle is basically facing the rear. The thumb ends up on top of the handle and now the hand can close on the handle. The arm is extended straight back pulling the sword from the sheath. With an upward flick of the wrist the curve of the sword helps it come out of the scabbard.
Attached Images

nKante is offline   Reply With Quote