Thread: Shotel draw
View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2016, 05:48 PM   #10
Jerseyman

Ah - a distinction I was unaware of - thanks. It would appear I have a couple of shotel

A great picture as you say. I also note that the artist moved to the battle site and apparently stayed for nearly five years - so I have to suppose that in that time he would have learned how the locals really used their weapons. Therefore unlikely to be any artistic licence at play.

If this is an accurate representation of the traditional weapon grip, then I am as flummoxed as you regarding the draw.

The only way I can see to do it would be to place your right hand on the grip, fingers on top pointing towards your body, thumb underneath - as if about to place your hand on your hip - then pull the hilt around to your right (a quarter rotation). Drop your left hand down past your left hip to grip the base of the scabbard to steady it, then draw out and up to your right. By rotating your upper torso to your right you should also release your shoulder enough to be able to draw a 30 inch blade. As the point clears the scabbard the torsion in your wrist/shoulder would flick it forwards clearing your body and your wrist would rotate the blade clockwise into guard or the first attack.

I've used similar draws on a variety of blades worn on the back of the belt. It may seem clumsy in writing, but with a little practice it becomes a fluid and fast draw - particularly if the equipment allows it. If the blade slips easily from the scabbard for example.

Of course I am extrapolating from the information I have, rather than speaking from a position of historical knowledge. But in my experience, when you have certain fixed nodes of information, there are only a limited number of ways the variables can go together.

I take your point Thinreadline about the quick draw and of course you're right. But I'd also suggest that pragmatically, a warrior who carries weapons regularly is inevitably going to need to draw them in rapid response to a threat sometime, and it seems more likely to me that those who fight often are unlikely to put themselves in a position where it's awkward to get to their weapons. Just a thought.

Kronckew - that's great information and images - thanks. Amazing to see the damage that falx did!

I really hope someone has an answer to the traditional draw - it's always fascinating to see how different cultures resolve the same issue.
Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote