View Single Post
Old 13th June 2016, 03:43 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Will,
As I mentioned, I am very glad you posted this sword here, and as noted by Fernando a number of times. Clearly as I noted, you have been at this for a very long time (2002) and through many venues. What I was suggesting was that there was considerable observation and data imparted in many of the extracurricular discussions which may have been keenly pertinent here.

It seems clear that this sword is comprised of British sword components of c. 1750s-70s, and does seem refurbished probably sometime thereafter. I would presume the 'A57' markings likely are from British protocols, but of course have remained on the hilt and scabbard throat .

It seems apparant that the leather grips and scabbard were added, quite likely during the refurbishing of this sword. The blade was probably acquired and used in this assembly as well. It has been noted throughout most of the discussions that have transpired that this blade is of a continental European form with the distinctive clipped point. Blades were of course heavily trafficked into the colonies prior to the Revolution during the conflicts between the British and French, and certainly post Revolution as well.
It is known that British makers and suppliers still were sources for many swords even into the War of 1812 period.

While America had gained its autonomy politically, it remained in large degree British culturally as our own distinctive culture evolved.
This included the development of our armed forces, and the evolution of local and independant militia and guard groups. I would say that it is quite feasible for weapons such as this to have been fabricated ersatz for such local entities in the post Revolution years and likely early years of the 1800s.
That silversmiths furbished swords is well established, and likely they were not ALL silvered. On that note, I am wondering if this hilt shows evidence of ever having been silvered. One angle seems to show an unusual gleam for metal of this age.

Excellent detail Ibrahiim on the Wyatt silversmiths, and may well apply to what is noted on the activities and possibiity of even these British artisans having connections to this blade. The only deference I would have is the placement of the name on the blade contrary to the British convention of placing it on the spine of the blade.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote