View Single Post
Old 8th June 2016, 08:27 PM   #30
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Here is an axe from the David collection, they label this axe as a "parade weapon", this is a common mistake, there is absolutely no reason to assume that this axe is anything other than a weapon, just because it is decorated and has velvet on the haft does not take away from its ability as a weapon. Wealthy warriors / potentates of every culture owned and used these highly decorated weapons, it was expected of them.

Battle-axe, iron and gold damascening
India; c. 1800
H: 55; L: 13.1 cm
The short, elegant battle-axe (tabar-i-zin) comes from the Persian region, where it was already part of a horseman’s equipment in the early Islamic period. Not all battle-axes were velvet-clad parade weapons like this one, however.

Yes you are correct ... That is the weapon I was referencing in my last post but the perception is in the eyes of the reader where it is easy to be misled since it suggests it is only for Parade whilst of course it is also a weapon. The problem developed as heavy cavalry clad in masses of armour declined coinciding in the late Qajar period and the parade nature of these great armies..

In respect of Post 20 and 24. and the Project axe at #1

In the late 19th and early 20th C a lot of copies were made in European centres where French must be the obvious suggested manufacturing point...bearing in mind the expo nature of French industry at the time. I feel the item looks "new" whilst chipped on one corner no other ageing is present in my view. Therefor I suggest the replica nature of this blade, although, it is a reasonable styling of Indo/ Persian form my feeling is it is a reproduction for one of the French exhibitions.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 8th June 2016 at 09:03 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote