View Single Post
Old 7th June 2016, 11:21 AM   #19
Reventlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerjak
Hello Reventlov,
Thank you for your comment ,Do you have some pictures for similar marks ?
If yes could you post it here ?
Hi Cerjak,
Before I post photos, I feel like I should mention that we may have crossed paths before in the myArmoury forum - I post there under my real name: Mark Lewis.

Here is my list of swords with the heart/cross mark. All are long-hilted, probably classifiable as types XIIIa, XIIa, and XVIa. The group seems to generally date to the 14th century.

1) Recovered from the tomb of Friedrich von Greifenstein, killed in the Battle of Sempach, 1386.

2) From the Alexandrian Armoury, inscribed with the name of Aristay, governor of the city for a short time in 1400-01.

3, 4) Two found in Serbia, both now in the Museum of Jagodina - probably you read the same article that I did?

5, 6) Two from (different) museums in Warsaw. Apparently excavated within Poland(?).

7) An un-hilted bladed in Wroclaw. There is a stamp on the tang similar to one of the Serbian swords (posted above). The stamped letter is different however, possibly a reversed S?

8) In the Hermitage, source unknown.

9) Auctioned by Hermann Historica, sale #65, lot number #1352. From a "Munich private collection".

10) From Husina, Slovakia. Possibly should be excluded from the list, the mark is not exactly heart-shaped.
Attached Images

Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote