View Single Post
Old 5th June 2016, 03:35 AM   #17
Reventlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
The encircled cross is the cross crosslet it seems was earlier use and by the 15th century the cross fourchee encircled was more commonly seen. This cross form may well have been used anachronistically or aligned more with specific conventions such as order or other imbuement.
A latten cross crosslet appears on the pommel of (at least) two swords of unquestioned provenance. One appearing in Oakeshott's Records was donated to the armoury of Alexandria in 1436-37 (year 840 in the Muslim calendar). The other was found in the River Tina in Northern Poland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerjak
The 'heart' and cross was a known Passau inlay (Cronau, 1885 p.18; Kinman p.65)
In this Sword from Nadrlje, Serbia we have the same symbols ( heart and cross only the location for the cross is under the heart.
Has any one ever seen a list or count of swords with this mark, or tried to compile one themselves? So far I have counted 10 examples... the swords I have found seem to be generally distributed in Eastern Europe; the western-most example is one in Germany (one of the Sempach swords), the rest I have found are the two in Serbia, and others from Poland, Slovakia... one is in the Hermitage, and one more was also from Alexandrian armoury.
Attached Images

Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote