View Single Post
Old 14th May 2016, 12:41 PM   #24
Richard G

Rick,
Once again, from Harding; official musket conversions were of two types;-
1, A nipple lump or block was braised or welded to the barrel.
2, The breech of the barrel was cut of and threaded and a new 'chambered' breech with an integral tang and nipple lump screwed in. I assume by 'integral' he means one single piece of metal.
I know this may sound silly, but is there any possibility of a ball still being in there?

Stu,
Sorry, when I referred to arabic numerals I meant in terms of the form rather than the language. I believe these numerals are the same in Urdu and Persian, both associated with the Muslims of Northern India and what is now Pakistan.
Also I did not mean 'refresh' as an official process but as a spurious practice of ensuring a customer sees what he wants to see. Even today dealers in antique arms have been known to 'refresh' engravings and marks if it adds value. Also, before the Mutiny, much of EIC governed Northern India had only recently been annexed and throughout the Raj there were a large number of Princeley States which recognised EIC or British soveriegnity but had internal autonomy. I wonder how effective enforcement of British proving laws could actually be.

Regards
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote