View Single Post
Old 9th May 2016, 05:04 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
It is often difficult to get excited about Moroccan koummya/jambiya daggers as we see so many of them. But, as many of you know, while the basic style may stay the same, they come in a wide spectrum when it comes to quality and materials used.

This one appealed to me because of the most unusual style of the scabbard, which seems to have more in common with Islamic architecture than other koummya scabbards. The pics here make the uniqueness difficult to see, but each "tilted square" and "heart" shape is concave to the surface, creating a lovely effect and capturing light from different directions.

Note also the quality of the silver work of the scabbard's mouth, bolster, and pommel cap. These are detailed far better then typically seen.

This dagger was a little dirty when I got it. So it has been polished to bring out the silver alloy of the scabbard and the better quality (real)silver of the hilt and mouth of the scabbard.

I am hoping to get help with the translation on the back side of the scabbard. Part of it looks like garble, or nothing, but most looks like legitimate Arabic script. I am hoping a date will surface. I have assumed the piece is mid 20th century.

Thanks for any help with translation.

Salaams Charles S...It says something like...The first letter appears as a squiggle followed by...Yazid amaali...Bilal bin Mohammed Sabaagh al Shinaani...I think it means made by the master Bilal Al Shinaani... roughly speaking ...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote