View Single Post
Old 17th September 2015, 09:10 PM   #1
LinusLinothorax

Default African knights - African armour collection thread

Hey guys,

i am deeply intrugued by the idea that Africa was probably the last continent that used knight-ish like warriors in actual combat, with heavy cavalry facing modern machine guns in the late 19th and early 20th century.

What i know is that there are tons of paintings, photographies and archaeological finds out there, but yet no one made a big collection thread where everyone can posts his pictures with heavily armoured african warriors.
For me it doesnt matter of what material the armour is: It can be metal, quilted or just leather. Also the condition aswell as the dating doesnt matter: It can be an ancient fragment, a medieval painting or a recent photo.
The only thing that really counts is that atleast the torso is covered by the armour and that the armour is not entirely ceremonial but was actuall used in combat.

I will start with Sudan:

1) Scalearmour on the Meroitic king Tarekeniwal:
2) Post-Meroitic hidearmour from Qasr Ibrim:
3) Medieval Nubian warrior in quilted armour from Faras:
4) Chainmail fragment from Soba, the capital of the Nubian kingdom of Alodia:
5) A Nubian palace guard, early 20th century (Does anyone knows more about this picture? What kingdom was he part of? Cant be Sennar because the painting is from 1902):
6) Cavalrymen from the Nuba mountains, claid in chainmail armour (Early 20th century):
Attached Images

Last edited by LinusLinothorax; 18th September 2015 at 03:38 AM.
LinusLinothorax is offline   Reply With Quote