View Single Post
Old 1st August 2015, 08:12 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I am with the others in considering possible Philippine origin for this item.
For me the knuckleguard with strap over pommel corresponds to many of the Spanish colonial forms deriving from espada ancha and evolved into Philippine versions. The crude nature of course suggests typical colonial ersatz type weapons, and the blade reminds me of the 'talibon' types from the Phiippines (though my exposure to these weapons is admittedly limited).

While it is tempting to link this to events such as the Irish Rebellion noted in 1798 based on the context in which it was found, these other possibilities should be considered as well. This rebellion was most certainly the source for any number of weapons from tools and implements to any number of ersatz fashioned arms, it would take other similar and provenanced examples to support the attribution.

The link to the bronze age sword said to have been used by one of these Irish men in this rebellion is sensational and intriguing, and well illustrates the often desperate innovation which would be employed during such intense events.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote