View Single Post
Old 27th November 2013, 05:39 PM   #102
AhmedH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams AhmedH,
I view the inclusion of this work as ground breaking and very important to the field of Ethnographic Arms and Armour... and naturally to our understanding of Islamic Arms and Armour. It represents the equivalent of a researcher turning up the sword Excalibur in the Tower Armoury or the V and A Museum in London.

My reading of the treatise focuses on the very vital area of al Kindi since it was largely his work that lead to the logical sequence of proofs and theories of your detective work unveiling as has been described very nicely of this sword hiding in plain sight Certain experts must be somewhat frustrated that they overlooked this most important sword.

In looking to Al Kindi we discover not just a great mathematician, scientist and philosopher but a veritable metallurgist. Without doubt his records of sword making and descriptions have formed the backbone of your thesis. The other supporter of Al Kindi is Colonel Doctor Zaky another of your well placed references. I am very surprised many of the other experts ... paid such lightweight attention to these two authors.

I have to say that I have reservations on a number of the other experts but that it is not my intention to criticize their inclusion. I also think the perfect balance of any paper can be thrown slightly when you have been required to reduce it. I found it very interesting that the late Mr Reinhardt was selected to throw some light on the cutting actions and probable techniques of Medieval fencing so that you were able to reverse engineer the weapon as a formidable sword against the various armour combinations.

I am still searching amongst Al Kindi writings and hope I can add more later and as I gradually get into this work. Indeed the plot thickens as I see areas of joint interest opening around the Omani Battle Sword (Sayf Yamaani) which I have placed at 751 AD.

I am sure a lot of members are delighted with your efforts and how you are fielding some searching questions so well. Very well done Ahmedh !

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Salaams Ibrahiim!

I'm very thankful and grateful for your positive and useful review of my work. I agree with all what you've said in your post. Being an expert in the Omani Battle Sword (Sayf Yamaani) makes you very familiar with my work. This is why I highly value your review of my work so much.

I would be happy to discuss with you any corrections you'd like to make to this article.

Thanks a lot, Ibrahiim. I look further to your future posts.

Best regards,
Ahmed Helal Hussein
AhmedH is offline   Reply With Quote