View Single Post
Old 25th June 2013, 09:12 PM   #10
E Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
SOMETIMES THEY ARE PIECED TOGETHER BY THE OWNER AND SOMETIMES THEY ARE PIECED TOGETHER FROM BITS FOUND IN THE SOUKS. THE BEAD WAS ORIGINALLY JEWELRY AND THE ENAMEL BIT LIKELY CAME FROM SOMETHING OTHER THAN A KNIFE PERHAPS A VESSEL OR LAMP FINAL.?
I agree that the enamel is probably added by someone at some point; I keep asking questions on that line in the (possibly vain) hope that I can find a way to tell if it was the previous owner or someone in Africa who made the addition.

A lamp finial is actually a very good suggestion for the enamel; size and shape are broadly correct for it. What little I am familiar with in Egypt is earlier, but I know a few people I can ask who are familiar with later Egyptian artefacts. Hopefully the enamel is recognizable by someone.

Iain:
Quote:
I should perhaps clarify why I suggested Egypt, not as an overall source of the dagger, but just of the enamel cap.
Ah; my mistake on that then.

Quote:
In a Sudanese context of course the potential for this sort of influence is ripe during the 19th century. This link for the blade: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1139
The link is very interesting. Upper hilt is pretty much the same shape, and the pommel is at least a broadly similar shape. And Sudan as well... really starting to like that hypothesis...

Martin Lubojacky:

Quote:
As far as books about African cold weapons are concerned, there are many authors already -e.g. I have books by Manfred Zirngibl - but he is mostly concentrated on Africa south of Sahara. I would say there are some books on north African blades (French authors ? - I would also appreciate if some of colleagues could intrioduce them here). I also like Christopher Spring. His African Armes and Armour is relativelly "thin", but sententious...
I can access the Tristan Bastide book the page in my last post was from (and its 2008 update "Du couteau au sabre: armes traditionnelles d'Afrique) via the university library; should be able to grab them tomorrow. Nothing available to me by Zirngibl, but, alas, I am unable to read German anyway. I should be able to dig up a copy of 'African Arms and Armour' as well though. Many thanks for the recommendations. If you (or anyone else) think of other interesting sources, I will never say no to extra information.

Quote:
The similarity of those "three knives" you identified on the picture from the book is purely accidental. In fact it is going on one short Fang sword and two types of sheath. The profile of the handle is similar only due to high reduction of the drawing.
Cheers. Thought it might just be the low-res drawing, but I'm ignorant enough of African weapons that I have to ask anyway.

Quote:
"....AND THEY NO DOUBT HAVE A STORY TO TELL IF THEY COULD ONLY SPEAK...." - I think Vandoo is 100 % right. This is also what attract me to collect old african weapons....
Agreed; the stories such objects tell can be beyond fascinating... the trouble is in tracking down what evidence the story leaves behind.
E Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote