View Single Post
Old 11th June 2013, 03:13 PM   #22
RDGAC

Hah! I got as far as getting the FeCl, but have yet to get round to trying it. Partly this was from caution, partly from lack of a suitable workspace, and partly from a lack of time. We're hoping to get a Heritage Lottery Fund grant for a refurbishment, so (in the hope that we will), lots of frenetic admin activity has been taking place over the past 14 months. It's all excitement and adventure, at least until the money runs out.

I like the look of this process, estrch. I've met Ian - he very kindly came to look at our small collection of Japanese swords from the 2nd World War - and he's a thoroughly good bloke, not to mention exceptionally well-versed in all matters Japanese arms and armour (as you are doubtless well aware). Any preparation with his seal of approval probably deserves a crack; this one, moreover, sounds a lot less potentially invasive than the acid route, albeit far more time-consuming. Only one thing puzzles me - where the hell I'm going to find a bit of deer antler...

- Meredydd (aka Harassed of York)
RDGAC is offline   Reply With Quote