View Single Post
Old 28th January 2012, 09:46 PM   #2
SERGIU

now this is a wonderful preserved shishana tufek(or "tufenk") made for the ottoman market , (according to Robert Elgood made in Boka Kotorska) , a janissary weapon that surely saw action during the 18 th century austro ottoman wars (or elsewhere) The small stock reveals older age- surely 18 th century.As I said about your other rifle, (the percussion jezail, in the oriental forum) we have in our museum in Timisoara a number of oriental and balkan muskets,and the shishana longguns have all kind of barrels.Some bosnian, copies after brescian originals, some oriental like your jazail and other brescian originals. I hope yours to be a Lazarino Cominazzo.

The word shishana indicates a long gun with a hexagonal wooden butt and a heavy barrel, a stock form used by the janissary and the seymeni. In my region of the balkans this musket remained in use by the haidouks till mid-19 th century. Shishanas are also referred as tokmakli sisana-(tokmak-"large piece of wood").Your gun seem made from the wood named "sarma agagdzi"in ottoman turkish, a timber from moldavia -a fine stripped wood.
as i said, my opinion is that you have a great military "cakmakli tufek " the beloved weapon of an unknown janissary of Deli Orman.
SERGIU is offline   Reply With Quote