View Single Post
Old 19th October 2011, 07:35 PM   #13
Gt Obach

have you tried to cut armor ? try it
you will be surprised, it does its job very well
- the only way to really know is to test it... don't read about it... go and test it to see for your own eyes

I've made chainmail sections and tried to cut it with a blade... the rings on the chain mail were not even welded or riveted and it easily stood up
- place the chain mail on a wood log and tried to cut it with a hatchet ...and i could not... ...it drove the chainmail into the wood of the log and finally, 2 links cut after many chops... now, that is not at all like us... we are soft and not hard like a wood log..... so now imagine this chainmail on something soft bodied and how difficult it would be to cut

also, i've seen several pieces of armor that were wootz... so those plates are steel... much more durable that normal iron

to pierce armor, you will have to concentrate the force on a point... not distribute it over a large area

besides, i think the popularity of armor on the battle field is low...it must have been extraordinarily expensive ...

i will say, wootz is costly and difficult to make... if your equipping an army, it will not be cheap ..... would you say an English saber is better than a Katana ..... No... but it would be easier to equip an army with sabers
- there is your answer

now to debate something of more substance...

Curved swords or Straight swords ......
1796 lc sabre or straight blade French sabre

perhaps another exercise in futility... hooray
Gt Obach is offline   Reply With Quote