Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NICE AFRICAN DAGGER (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5293)

Lew 29th September 2007 10:29 PM

NICE AFRICAN DAGGER

2 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up on ebay. I think it's Songye and not Boa but I can't be sure. I have several Boa swords and this one does not fit the general style.

Lew

Flavio 29th September 2007 10:36 PM

Hi Lew, very nice!!! The handle seems boa.....the blade ..... I have to see on references. Congrats :)

Lew 30th September 2007 07:04 PM

I added a pic of two other variations of Boa swords/daggers for comparison.

Lew

Jim McDougall 1st October 2007 04:54 AM

What features or elements would distinguish Songye from Boa Lew?

Lew 1st October 2007 03:18 PM

Jim

I have done some research and have asked a few of the other African collectors from the forum and I get a mixed review. The hilt could be Boa or Zande and not as i originally thought was Songye. What throughs me off is the blade. Every example that I have seen on the Boa blades exhibit a linear pattern of grooves on one side of the blade. This blade does not have that pattern of grooves. I am leaning more towards Zande now. I will take better photos when it arrives maybe that will help with identifying it more precisely.

Lew

Flavio 1st October 2007 07:16 PM

Hi Lew, I have seen on some books..... I think that the hilt is Boa..... the blade seems Songye but the two tribes are quite distant, but this is not a problem the blade could well travelled, but what let me think is that the blade is not tipical Songye and so I believe that the short sword is a rare Boa.... just a guess. For the Zande..... mmmmm I never seen a sword that shows clear characteristics that one can say "this is not mangbetu, nzakara or boa and so is Zande" I have always seen Zande guys (on old photos) that show straight swords from other tribes :shrug: but maybe I'm wrong.... :D

Lew 13th October 2007 04:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The dagger arrived today and I snapped off a couple of pics for comparison. I am still not convinced that this is of Boa origin.

Lew

Luc LEFEBVRE 13th October 2007 10:42 PM

Lew,
Be confident in the explanation of the seller, he's a great collector of African weapons.
;)
Luc

Lew 14th October 2007 07:24 AM

Luc

Believe me I am not complaining or I am disappointed this is one beautifully made dagger it just threw me a little it must be a less common form than the ones I have seen in the past.

Lew

Flavio 14th October 2007 11:27 AM

Hello Lew, I think you are a fortunate guy! This is a rare (Boa) short sword indeed, and a very nice one! :)

Lew 14th October 2007 02:04 PM

Thanks Flavio and Luc!:)

Lew