Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Philippine Sceptre? Mace? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29142)

Jerseyman 30th August 2023 07:51 PM

Philippine Sceptre? Mace?

6 Attachment(s)
I'm hoping someone can give me the cultural context for this item. I'm assuming by the decoration (okir?) that it's Philippine, possibly Maranao?

A sceptre or baton of office? A chain as a wrist lanyard? Five bands of suassa I believe. I suspect the body is a low grade silver alloy.

The concealed dagger blade has a flattened diamond cross-section and is sharp.

The photos don't show it very well, but in the hand you can see the very gentle hammer marks, particularly on the pommel and head. Apologies for the quality of the pictures.

It weighs 450g/1lb

Dimensions

Length 35cm
Hilt length 11.5cm
Hilt width 3cm
Scabbard 23.5cm
Mace head 4cm
Blade 15cm
Blade width 1.25cm
Chain 28cm

Tim Simmons 1st September 2023 04:14 PM

I am not a Philippines collector so I know little of this region. However I think and the fact that many knowledgeable collectors have not replied. This piece must be from elsewhere. The blade and machine? Cut thread are on what you would expect to see. I could be wrong.

Jerseyman 1st September 2023 05:14 PM

Thanks for the response Tim. It's definitely a puzzle. It was an ebay purchase from the early days of the site's existence. I've always assumed it's vintage - as you say machine-cut thread - but I've never seen another one, so I don't think it's made for the tourist trade. The bands look like suassa but could possibly be copper. Hopefully someone has seen another one and can place the context.

kai 3rd September 2023 06:58 PM

From the style of the decor, this might well be Indonesian.

Swagger sticks aka command batons seem to have been commonly carried by military officers of the Indonesian Republic (in Javanese: "stok komando").

Regards,
Kai

David 3rd September 2023 07:52 PM

It might be Indonesian as kai suggests. I don't believe it is from the Philippines, at least not Moroland.
To my eyes it looks fairly recent, as in post WWII. I obviously cannot be sure from the photos, but i don't get the feeling the white metal is silver or that the copperish metal is suasa. But is seems like a well put together piece and i would not think it is a tourist item either.

Battara 5th September 2023 12:53 AM

There are Moro, even Maranao, okir motifs. I have seen every chased motif on this scepter also on other Moro pieces, especially bladed weaponry.

I vote Moro.

Jerseyman 5th September 2023 04:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The other element that made me think Philippines is the swollen ribbing on the grip which reminded me of some kris I've seen - none in my collection unfortunately! :)

But here are a couple of pics lifted off the internet (not items for sale of course).