Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Show us your bankung (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18345)

DaveS 26th March 2014 03:43 AM

Show us your bankung

12 Attachment(s)
Here for viewing is a moro banking. This is the only one I have ever run across in years of collecting moro stuff. according to Cato it is one of the rarest of the moro swords. 20 inch laminated blade with a wood handle and cockatoo pommel. Does anyone own a bankung that they could post some pictures here?.........Dave.

Robert 26th March 2014 06:00 AM

Hello Dave, Very nice bankung. This is the first one that I think I have ever seen with a cockatoo pommel. As I am still looking for one of these to add to my own collection unfortunately I have no photos to share. I know others here on the forum have posted theirs in the past so I too am looking forward to see how many of those as well as new ones will get posted here. My congratulations to you on acquiring this very interesting example.

Best,
Robert

P.S.
Where do you keep coming up with all these new toys from. :confused:

DaveS 26th March 2014 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert
Hello Dave, Very nice bankung. This is the first one that I think I have ever seen with a cockatoo pommel. As I am still looking for one of these to add to my own collection unfortunately I have no photos to share. I know others here on the forum have posted theirs in the past so I too am looking forward to see how many of those as well as new ones will get posted here. My congratulations to you on acquiring this very interesting example.

Best,
Robert

P.S.
Where do you keep coming up with all these new toys from. :confused:

Robert: Almost all these toys are "old" ones. Iv'e not bought anything new for a couple of years. I think the last thing I bought was off of ebay from Rsword, a nice moro kris..........Dave.

Nonoy Tan 26th March 2014 12:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a specimen.
[IMG]

kai 27th March 2014 12:49 AM

Hello Nonoy,

Yup, this sold recently: Good blade and a cracked hilt that can probably be fixed with some care.

BTW, am I the only one to believe this basket scabbard is a later non-Moro replacement? All other scabbard examples I saw were typical Sulu or Palawan types.

Regards,
Kai

kai 27th March 2014 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Dave,

Quote:

20 inch laminated blade with a wood handle and cockatoo pommel.
Thanks for posting yours - this is certainly special! The slim blade profile is quite unique!

I'm attaching a pic of my bangkung and hope others will do, too.

Regards,
Kai

DaveS 27th March 2014 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai
Hello Dave,

Thanks for posting yours - this is certainly special! The slim blade profile is quite unique!

I'm attaching a pic of my bangkung and hope others will do, too.

Regards,
Kai

Hello Kai: Very nice bankung. Looks like it has a short sharpened back edge. Both bankungs that have been posted have basically what could be considered as a horse-hoof style pommel. Besides mine, the only other cockatoo type is the one in Catos book. I don't know if that one was his or not. Apparently, cockatoo style seems to less common........Dave.

kino 27th March 2014 04:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. I've posted this awhile back.
OAL 22.5 in. Blade 16"

I know where Kai's Bankung is hiding!

DaveS 27th March 2014 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kino
Here's mine. I've posted this awhile back.
OAL 22.5 in. Blade 16"

I know where Kai's Bankung is hiding!

Hey Albert: Another nice bankung They seem to be coming out of the woodwork. This one has the same style pommel as the ivory one that you got a while back. Apparently, there seems to be no real set handle type for this kind of sword............Dave.

Nonoy Tan 27th March 2014 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Kai,

I am not familiar with the origin of the scabbard, but assume that it was likely not rare nor special at that time. This "bangkung" was likely a farm or chopping tool and perhaps did not need an elaborate scabbard in the first place.

I am not sure if it would be appropriate to classify the scabbard as "moro" or "non-moro."

Here is a photo from Krieger's 1926 work. The basketry on the left is attributed to Basilan of the Sulu Archipelago.

Nonoy

VANDOO 30th March 2014 10:31 PM

10 Attachment(s)
BANGKUNG IS IT A MORO SWORD THAT INFLUENCED THE BAGOBO/TIBOLI SWORDS OR THE OTHER WAY AROUND. :confused: THE BLADE FORM IS VERY SIMULAR ON MANY EXAMPLES. HERE ARE PICTURES OF SEVERAL VARIATIONS, TWO EVEN HAVE A CROOKED BLADE WITH BASIC BANKUNG FORM, IS THERE A NAME FOR THIS SWORD? PICTURES
#1.,#2. & #3. A LONG BANGKUNG MANTERIS HAD. IT WAS AT LEAST 25IN. LONG. AND HAD GOOD PATINA AND WAS IN PERFECT SHAPE.
#4., #5., #6, & #7. SAID TO BE PALAWAN, TAQBANUA TRIBE
#8. & #9. TWO EXAMPLES OF THE UNUSUAL BENT BLADED SWORD.
#10. BAGOBO/ TIBOLI SWORDS, WITH BANGKUNG LIKE BLADES.

imas560 31st March 2014 08:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all,
Here's mine.
OAL 27.5"/700mm

CharlesS 31st March 2014 02:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are my examples. Technically the top example is NOT a bangkung, but certainly serves the same function. That shorter one is surprisingly heavier than either of the larger examples shown.

The scabbards on the top and middle one are new.

CharlesS 31st March 2014 05:00 PM

Kino,

I think your example is, from top to bottom, the finest example I have seen of a bangkung. The lovely blade, along with the extraordinary hilt and pommel make it quite a fine piece.

The thickened reinforcement at the forte reminds me of many Indonesian klewang styles I have seen. Wonder if there has to be some influence there?

CharlesS 31st March 2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonoy Tan
Hi Kai,

I am not familiar with the origin of the scabbard, but assume that it was likely not rare nor special at that time. This "bangkung" was likely a farm or chopping tool and perhaps did not need an elaborate scabbard in the first place.

I am not sure if it would be appropriate to classify the scabbard as "moro" or "non-moro."

Here is a photo from Krieger's 1926 work. The basketry on the left is attributed to Basilan of the Sulu Archipelago.

Nonoy

Nonoy,

The fact the Krieger is specific enough to call these "bolo" cases at least makes it a strong possibility that your example's blade and scabbard were, even if not born together(and they may have been), at least likely together for a very long time.

If only he had included an example of a "bolo" with them it would really give us a more decisive answer.

cicak_cobing 31st March 2014 05:16 PM

i never knew that there was a moro version of bangkung..
it's good to learn new stuff.. :)

VVV 1st April 2014 09:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Nice to see all the variations of the Bangkung in one place.
Perhaps the last one, without a scabbard, once was as nice as Kino's?

Michael

Sajen 1st April 2014 11:39 PM

Some very nice bankung, thank's to all for showing! :)

kino 2nd April 2014 03:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the kind words.
Day one in my possession, the bangkung was covered with rust and was pitted.
With a lot of help from a knife maker we got the blade to its current state.

Now here's a hybrid (wish it were mine), is it a BANGRIS or a KRIKUNG. No matter what it's called, I call it beautiful.

If the owner is a forum member, post some photos will ya!

CharlesS 2nd April 2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the kind words.
Day one in my possession, the bangkung was covered with rust and was pitted.
With a lot of help from a knife maker we got the blade to its current state.

Now here's a hybrid (wish it were mine), is it a BANGRIS or a KRIKUNG. No matter what it's called, I call it beautiful.

If the owner is a forum member, post some photos will ya!

Kino,

I have seen this piece and it is much smaller than an average kangkung. It does not have that kind of weight. I believed it was exclusively a status piece. And, no...it is not mine.

Gustav 2nd April 2014 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

A BANGRIS from Holstein's work. Twistcore :eek:

The back edge is quite long.

kai 3rd April 2014 07:14 AM

Hello Gustav,

I'd posit that this is a shandigris (with backedge)... ;)

(This looks more like a barung-like blade for slashing rather than the chopping action most bangkung blades are optimized for.)

Regards,
Kai

kai 3rd April 2014 07:58 AM

Hello Charles,

Quote:

I have seen this piece and it is much smaller than an average kangkung. It does not have that kind of weight. I believed it was exclusively a status piece.
It's certainly a really odd one, especially with that Chinese dragon on the hilt!

BTW, here's Artzi's description of the blade: "The blade is heavy, 20 inches long, single edged and hollow ground. It is forged from fine laminated steel."

Regards,
Kai

kai 3rd April 2014 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One more weird example - Moro?

I've seen a similar pommel on a kris that may be Sulu; both seem pretty roughly carved which is unusual, even for more recent pieces...

Regards,
Kai

CharlesS 3rd April 2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai
Hello Charles,

It's certainly a really odd one, especially with that Chinese dragon on the hilt!

BTW, here's Artzi's description of the blade: "The blade is heavy, 20 inches long, single edged and hollow ground. It is forged from fine laminated steel."

Regards,
Kai

Kai,

The blade on Artzi's sword was not as wide as a traditional bangkung, especially with the unusual, somewhat extreme, narrowing at the forte. Nor did it have as thick of a spine as a traditional bangkung. It certainly didn't strike me as a utilitarian sword.

Spunjer 3rd April 2014 12:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here's mine.

Spunjer 3rd April 2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Kino,

I have seen this piece and it is much smaller than an average kangkung. It does not have that kind of weight. I believed it was exclusively a status piece. And, no...it is not mine.

lol, i'm pretty sure this was a typo, charles coz i know you're not referring to the water spinach:
http://mydestiny2011.org/wp-content/...s/kangkung.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangkung

so now you're making me crave for kangkung and not a place to buy the darn thing around here, lol :D :D :D

VVV 3rd April 2014 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also handled Artzi's strange sword when in Baltimore and agree with Charles.
It's much to light and slim to be either a bangkris or a krikung.
Here is an example of a "typical" bangkris.

Kai, I think there already is a thread somewhere on my strange sword from Artzi that you reposted.

Michael

kino 3rd April 2014 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunjer
lol, i'm pretty sure this was a typo, charles coz i know you're not referring to the water spinach:

so now you're making me crave for kangkung and not a place to buy the darn thing around here, lol :D :D :D

LOL! I got a packet of Sinigang Soup Mix to go with that kangkung, if you ever find some.

CharlesS 3rd April 2014 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunjer

Ha!

Yes Ron, it was a typo and I'm a bad boy being a teacher who doesn't proofread! The time limit has elapsed for me to edit it. Thank God my students would never likely come near this site...they would love to catch me in any error!
:eek: