Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Indonesian, Scottish or Something Else ? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25548)

drac2k 14th January 2020 06:10 PM

Indonesian, Scottish or Something Else ?

12 Attachment(s)
I realize that the above title covers quite a range and so it is evident that I don't know what I have.
At first glance, I thought that it might be Indonesian, in the style of the pre-regulation kalewangs locally produced for the Dutch, imitating a European hunting trousse set, however after further inspection of the scabbard, I noticed what looks like "K.Rily 1818." Could this be European, rather than Indonesian?
The blade measures approx. 9" long and 1.5" at its widest, and .25" at the base of the spine. It is very sharp and it would be a very effective weapon as well as equally handy for field dressing game.
Could this be a crude Sgian Dubh?
I will leave it to the moderators to move this item to the European section if they feel it is better served there.

mross 14th January 2020 06:24 PM

Looks like it could be from Nepal. with the leather work and hilts. That sig is somewhat problematic though. Doesn't look Scottish to me.

drac2k 14th January 2020 06:39 PM

Thanks for your input; the horn handles didn't seem Scottish either.

Interested Party 15th January 2020 12:54 AM

Could it be Scandinavian or Sami? The stitching, molded sheath, ferrules, handle pattern if not material, and blade design seem to fit the Scandinavian pattern to me.

A. G. Maisey 15th January 2020 01:46 AM

Antique table cutlery is one of my side interests. I am very far from expert, but I do have more than a little antique cutlery and I use it every day.

Using the Hollander collection as a reference, I'm inclined to place this knife and fork as German or Dutch, possibly 18th century. I base this guess upon overall similarity in style, not upon an exactly similar example.

Robert 15th January 2020 02:30 AM

As for the signature/writing you might try doing a rubbing to see if anything legible might be produced. Other than that I have nothing else to add that has not already been suggested by others.

Best,
Robert

drac2k 15th January 2020 01:04 PM

All very thoughtful comments, thank you; maybe it belonged to William"Bill the Butcher," from the "Gangs of New York."

Henk 15th January 2020 02:18 PM

Can you read the writing or rub it? It could give a hint in wich direction we have to search.

drac2k 15th January 2020 04:43 PM

Yes, it looks like "K.Rily 1818."

LJ 15th January 2020 08:10 PM

From the photos, I read the end of the inscription as July 1873, but couldn't make out what is written before "July"

Rick 15th January 2020 11:58 PM

Any ideas as to the type of horn?
I have seen ram's horn snuff mulls that are scotch in origin.
Maybe the type of horn could give a clue. :shrug:

drac2k 16th January 2020 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was sure that it said Rily, but it appears(after taking the suggestion of doing a rub,etc.), that it is K. July 6, 1818(?);last number could be an 8.