Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Another Nice Ball Pommel Moro Kriss (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26270)

CharlesS 7th September 2020 04:11 PM

Another Nice Ball Pommel Moro Kriss

7 Attachment(s)
I know ball pommel krisses are not popular with some Moro collectors, but I really like them.

This is another one with a lovely wood grain(matching its scabbard). The blade is rather typical pattern welding with tempered edges. The hilt is fully dressed in silver alloy bands and woven wire, the bands with heavy copper content.

Note the unique flaring of the last piece of the grip towards the pommel. I have wondered if the pommel represents an opening flower with the flared silver its sepal and the ball pommel its unopened pedals and with the "nipple" on the pommel cap its stigma. ...just a thought.

xasterix 7th September 2020 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesS
I know ball pommel krisses are not popular with some Moro collectors, but I really like them.

This is another one with a lovely wood grain(matching its scabbard). The blade is rather typical pattern welding with tempered edges. The hilt is fully dressed in silver alloy bands and woven wire, the bands with heavy copper content.

Note the unique flaring of the last piece of the grip towards the pommel. I have wondered if the pommel represents an opening flower with the flared silver its sepal and the ball pommel its unopened pedals and with the "nipple" on the pommel cap its stigma. ...just a thought.

You have a gorgeous piece crafted by a highly meticulous artisan. Just makes me wonder how much time went into its creation and refinement. Definitely a testament to Bangsamoro skill, creativity, and ingenuity.

Ian 7th September 2020 05:33 PM

Hi Charles,

Lovely old kris in Sulu dress, although the blade could be Maguindanao. Is it possible there may be some gold (suassa) on this one? It may be silver with a high copper content, as you note, but I do wonder about suassa in this high end example. A flower motif could be correct for some of these ball pommels.

Ian

Oliver Pinchot 7th September 2020 06:54 PM

From a utilitarian perspective, spherical pommels assure a good grip; one in which the sword will not slip out of the hand at a crucial moment. They are numerous in Europe, but occur in a number of other cultures as well.
Beautiful example, Charles.

kino 8th September 2020 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesS

Really!! Well I guess that leaves more for others. Like you, I like them as well. That’s one beautiful sword. Thanks for sharing.

Battara 8th September 2020 02:01 AM

Amazing example! I would say that the blade is indeed Maguindanao. I don't see any evidence of suassa though.

CharlesS 8th September 2020 11:49 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

I would love there to some swassa on the mounts, but I'm afraid it's just a silver alloy with lots of copper. It's really hard to see in the pics, even in holding it outside of the right light, but somehow the silver alloy works really nicely against the truer silver woven wire.

Battara 9th September 2020 05:15 AM

I also noticed how the baka-baka clamp motifs match that from under the pommel. Nice touch.